As useful as file cabinets can be, they can also be extremely overwhelming. Think of how annoying it is, for example, when a file cabinet gets full and you don’t have room to add important files. Or when you have to invest in more file cabinets to make room for said important files, only to have them take up precious space in your office.
Document Management Systems offer a solution to the pains associated with file cabinets. Document Management Systems can be thought of as electronic file cabinets that provide a structure for organizing all physical and digital documents. Document Management Systems allow for quick and easy access to any document or file. Businesses have reported several advantages to the use of Document Management Systems, which are discussed below.
- Easy Access. Having document management software eliminates the need to stockpile loads of files. Embedded in Document Management Systems are sophisticated search engines that make it easy to search through all of your company’s documents within seconds. Therefore, you can instantly find whatever document you need on your computer. Talk about enhanced efficiency!
- Better Collaboration. Eliminating hard copies of documents makes it easier for people to work together, especially people in different locations. Furthermore, when multiple people are working on editing the same document, Document Management Systems help ensure that the most up-to-date copy is in use.
- Added Security. Document Management Systems allow you to track who is viewing and editing documents and allows you to designate who has access to which files.
- Better Use of Space. A crowded or messy office can make for an unpleasant work environment and can decrease employee productivity. Implementing document management solutions helps you economize on space. By getting rid of physical documents and file cabinets, you can use your space for activities that will actually generate revenue.
- Better Disaster Recovery. With physical documents, there’s always an added risk of papers being destroyed or ending up in the wrong hands. And should any natural disaster occur, companies might lose access to physical documents. When documents are stored online, they are generally safer from destruction.
QualPath can help your company with its Document Management Systems needs. If your company is considering implementing a Document Management System, contact QualPath today.
Brooks, Chad. (2016). Document Management Systems: A Buyer’s Guide. Business News Daily.